AFP / Melbourne
The World No. 1’s bid to avoid deportation will be heard by Australia’s Federal Court at 10:15am local time today
Australia said yesterday it will detain Novak Djokovic this weekend after again stripping him of his visa, in a dramatic setback to the tennis world number one’s goal of winning a record 21st Grand Slam. As time slips away before the Australian Open starts Monday, the nine-time title holder was told in an emergency hearing that he will be in immigration detention from Saturday morning — not on the Melbourne Park tennis courts.
The megastar’s bid to avoid deportation will be heard by Australia’s Federal Court at 10:15am local time today.
The government has agreed not to deport the 34-year-old Serbian tennis ace until the hearing is over, barrister Stephen Lloyd told an emergency late-night federal court session. But Djokovic is expected to attend government offices at 8:00am today to be placed in detention.
He would be allowed out of detention to follow the online court hearing at his solicitors’ offices, but only under the supervision of Australian Border Force officers, the barrister said. It is unclear if Djokovic will choose to stay and fight the case if he believes he is unable to compete in the Australian Open.
Australia’s conservative government, defeated once in the courts, invoked extraordinary executive powers to rip up his visa again, this time on public interest grounds.
The player’s barrister Nick Wood said the government had argued that Djokovic’s presence would stir anti-vaccine sentiment in Australia, which is fighting a surge of infections by the Omicron variant.
Djokovic, an avowed Covid-19 vaccine sceptic, is the tournament’s top seed and had been practising just hours before Immigration Minister Alex Hawke’s decision was announced. The government is “firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic,” Hawke said in a statement. He cited “health and good order grounds” for the decision and said “it was in the public interest to do so”.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison backed the decision: “Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and they rightly expect the result of those sacrifices to be protected.” The visa cancellation effectively means Djokovic would be barred from obtaining a new Australian visa for three years, except under exceptional circumstances, ruling him out of one of the four Grand Slam tournaments during that time.
Djokovic’s vaccine waiver provoked outrage among many Australians who have endured nearly two years of some of the toughest coronavirus restrictions in the world. The star flew into Melbourne airport on January 5 claiming a vaccine exemption because of a positive PCR test result on December 16.
Border agents rejected his exemption, revoked his visa and placed him in a notorious Melbourne detention centre where he spent four nights. The Australian government insists a recent infection does not qualify as a vaccine exemption for foreign nationals trying to enter the country.
Djokovic’s top-flight legal team overturned the visa decision in court on Monday because border officials at the airport had failed to give him the agreed time to respond. Former world number one Andy Murray, who will play at the Open, said he hoped Djokovic’s status would be cleared up. “It just seems like it’s dragged on for quite a long time now and (it’s) not great for the tennis, not great for the Australian Open, not great for Novak,” Murray said.
Other players, including world number four Stefanos Tsitsipas, have criticised Djokovic. “For sure he has been playing by his own rules,” Tsitsipas told Indian broadcaster WION on Thursday. “It takes a lot of daring to do and (is) putting a Grand Slam at risk...
I don’t think many players would do that.”
On Wednesday, Djokovic described reports about post-infection outings without a mask in Serbia as “misinformation”. On the day of his claimed positive test in Serbia, he attended a ceremony to honour him with stamps bearing his image. The following day he attended a youth tennis event. He appeared at both apparently without a mask.
Djokovic said on Instagram that he only received the PCR test result after going to the children’s tennis event on December 17. But he admitted he also went ahead with an interview with French sports daily L’Equipe on December 18. “On reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment,” Djokovic said.
The tennis star also admitted to a mistake on his Australian travel declaration, in which a box was ticked indicating that he had not, or would not, travel in the 14 days before flying to Melbourne. In fact, social media posts show he flew from Serbia to Spain during that period. Djokovic blamed his support team for this.
“My agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box,” he said. As Covid-related hospitalisations rise in Melbourne, the Victorian state government said Thursday it would cap capacity at the Australian Open at 50%.
Djokovic doctor slams Australia for trying to deport ‘super healthy’ star
Limassol, Cyprus: The doctor widely credited with helping Novak Djokovic to reach the pinnacle of tennis yesterday criticised Australia for twice cancelling the Serbian star’s visa and detaining him over Covid technicalities, saying he is “super healthy”.
“It’s absurd that somebody who has optimal health is a threat to the health of the public,” Dr Igor Cetojevic, a Bosnian-born Serb who lives in Cyprus, said. Australia stripped Djokovic of his visa yesterday and plans to detain him, just days ahead of his bid to win a record-breaking 21st Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in Melbourne.
Djokovic, an avowed Covid-19 vaccine sceptic, is the tournament’s top seed and had been practising on the Melbourne Park courts just hours before Immigration Minister Alex Hawke’s bombshell decision was announced. Cetojevic, who spent a year on tour with Djokovic until 2011, when he won Wimbledon for the first time and became world number one, said the unvaccinated Serb was being treated unfairly.
“How can a super healthy guy be a threat for the Australian Open,” the 60-year-old doctor said, laughing out loud. “It’s all politics, it starts with politics, not anything else,” said Cetojevic, who describes himself as a qualified medical doctor who uses energetical medicine, Chinese medicine and a holistic approach to healing.
In his 2013 book “Serve to Win”, Djokovic revealed how changing his diet on the advice of Cetojevic had helped to take him to the top. “We’re like precision instruments,” Djokovic wrote in the book that reveals the gluten-free diet and fitness plan that transformed his career. If I am even the slightest bit off — if my body is reacting poorly to the foods I’ve eaten — I simply can’t play at the level it takes to beat these guys.”
Over the course of his stellar career, Djokovic has always sought ways to give himself an edge over his opponents. Many of the remedies that he has turned to have been dismissed by his critics as quackery, but Cetojevic leapt to his defence. Asked whether Djokovic’s performance would be harmed if he were to get a vaccine against the coronavirus, he said: “Definitely”.
“Let’s call things by their right name,” he said in an interview at his home near the southern Cypriot city of Limassol. “These so-called vaccines are, in fact, experimental products that have not been clinically proven. I’m seeing patients these days, ordinary people who followed the recommendation to be injected, who are now facing major health issues. The whole idea is to provoke the body’s immune system, but... we are all different. Some people have different reactions. If you have the best car for Formula One and you put the wrong petrol inside, what will happen?” the doctor said, adding that Djokovic understood this analogy from his own experience.
“He respects himself, he is aware and a smart person and he learns from his mistakes and he also from good choices. Luckily, meeting me 10 years ago, his life changed.”
There are no comments.