BREAKING NEWS

Blaze kills at least 10 in Indian coronavirus centre India tea plantation landslide death toll rises to 43 New military operation launches in North Iraq to track ISIS 297 new cases of coronavirus in Qatar, 271 recoveries and two deaths India begins examination of plane's black box after deadly crash UK PM says schools must open in September US begins highest level Taiwan visit in decades Beirut port blast crater 43 metres deep: security official Afghan peace talks close after Taliban prisoner release approved

Turkey charges 20 Saudis over Khashoggi murder

AFP/Istanbul

Wednesday، 25 March 2020 02:47 PM

Turkish prosecutors have charged 20 suspects over the 2018 murder of Riyadh critic Jamal Khashoggi.

Khashoggi, 59, a commentator who wrote for The Washington Post, was killed after he entered the Saudi consulate on October 2, 2018, to obtain paperwork for his wedding to Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz.

The Saudi insider-turned-critic was strangled and his body cut into pieces by a 15-man Saudi squad inside the consulate, according to Turkish officials.

His remains have never been found despite repeated calls by Turkish officials for the Saudis to cooperate.

- 'Monstrous killing' -

Turkey carried out its own investigation after being unhappy with Saudi Arabia's explanations.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed Ankara will not give up the case.

"This happened in my country, how am I not going to follow up on that? Of course I'm going to follow up. This is our responsibility," Erdogan told Fox News last year.

The prosecutor have already issued arrest warrants for the suspects, who are not in Turkey.



Add Comment

There are no comments.

Top