DPA/ New York
A planned vote in the United Nations Security Council on a draft resolution to condemn US President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan has been called off following US pressure, several diplomats told DPA yesterday.
The 15-member council was set to vote on the draft text today after an address by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
But the draft resolution now appears to be on hold following a pressure campaign by the United States, which diplomats said involved calls from Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and and one of the architects of his Middle East plan, to Security Council members.
Sources also suggested that the sacking of Tunisia’s permanent representative to the UN last Friday was linked to US pressure on the country’s government.
Moncef Baati was officially dismissed due to “the lack of coordination” between him and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as representatives of Arab and Islamic countries at the UN, TAP news agency reported.
Tunisia and Indonesia, which are both currently Security Council members, had circulated the draft UN resolution on behalf of the Palestinians to condemn Trump’s Middle East proposal and called for a council meeting with Abbas.
Trump unveiled his controversial plan last month, which he said would end the bitter Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The plan would give Israel control over Jewish settlements on the West Bank and the strategic Jordan Valley, while also calling for the creation of a Palestinian state.
There are no comments.