BREAKING NEWS

Murray won’t play US Open singles after loss in Cincy

Reuters/Cincinnati, United States

Wednesday، 14 August 2019 12:07 AM

Andy Murray announced on Monday he would not play singles at the US Open after losing in his long-awaited return from hip surgery at the Cincinnati Masters.
The Scot lost 6-4, 6-4 to Richard Gasquet in his first singles match since January before saying he had turned down a wild card into the men’s draw at the year’s final Grand Slam.
“I am not going to play US Open singles,” the 32-year-old said. “I didn’t feel I was able to make that decision before today’s match.”
He indicated, though, that he would play doubles and mixed doubles at Flushing Meadows in two weeks and left open the door for possibly for playing before then.
“I may play Winston-Salem potentially,” he said of the North Carolina event, which starts in six days.
“But I’ll probably look at just playing doubles and mixed doubles. That’s what I will do at the US Open.”
In his first match since the hip resurfacing surgery which he hopes will prolong his career, Murray started tentatively but improved as the went on, even if he was always up against it after Gasquet broke his serve to start both sets.


KYRGIOS ADVANCES
A focused Nick Kyrgios later defeated Italy’s Lorenzo Sonego 7-6, 6-4 in their first-round duel under the lights.
The unpredictable Australian bowed for the crowd after an impressive backhand stab volley gave him a 4-2 lead in the second set but he was otherwise business-like in the win.
Kyrgios, who won the Citi Open last week, said he was ready to build on that success after he was eliminated in the first round of the Rogers Cup on Tuesday following an argument with the chair umpire.
“I’m super happy with that week but I’m trying to build on it,” Kyrgios said of winning the title in Washington.
“It was an amazing week, awesome memories. I’m trying to create more things like that.”
Next up for Kyrgios is a first career meeting with eighth seed Karen Khachanov in the second round today.
Earlier, Marin Cilic became the first seed to fall when he was eliminated by Radu Albot of Moldova 6-4, 7-6 (6), while Serbia’s Miomir Kecmanovic upset Canadian Felix Auger Aliassime 6-3, 6-3.
American Sam Querrey and Japan’s Yodhihito Nishioka were also winners, Querrey outlasting France’s Pierre-Hughues Herbert 7-6 (2), 7-6 (1) and Nishioka defeated Australian Jordan Thompson 7-5, 5-7, 6-4.
World number two Rafael Nadal, the second seed, withdrew overnight, citing fatigue after winning his fifth Rogers Cup title on Sunday.

Add Comment

There are no comments.

Top