BREAKING NEWS

Sudan military and opposition agree to three-year transition period

Dpa/Khartoum

Wednesday، 15 May 2019 06:18 PM

Sudan's military and opposition leaders have agreed to a three-year transition period that will pave the way for a civilian government.

The agreement - which will see the main opposition grouping Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF) get two-thirds of the seats on the interim transitional council - is expected to be signed on Wednesday.

‘We pledge to fully complete the agreement about the transitional period in less than 24 hours,’ a military negotiator, Yasser al-Atta, told reporters late Tuesday.

He said the remaining third of seats would go to other political parties.

However, the two sides have yet to agree to the formation of a ‘sovereign council,’ the highest level of power which would rule the country until elections.

There is still disagreement over the percentage the military and the civilian sides would take on that body.

Anti-government demonstrations began in Sudan late last year with protesters calling for long-time leader Omar al-Bashir to go. The military stepped in in April, launching a coup and arresting him.

But protesters say the new military rulers are a continuation of al-Bashir's former regime and have clamoured for more concessions and a transition to civilian government.

On Wednesday evening, protesters remained camped out in Khartoum, waiting to hear news of the sovereign council.

‘Operational problems are very likely as it will take time for the new Parliament to form and for the Sovereign Council to take over the workings of the country,’ said Pieter Scribante, an analyst with think-tank NKC African Economics.

 ‘Security threats remain high as some factions inside the military oppose transferring power to a civilian authority. Even if security and stability are established, the new government will take time to rebuild the country after years of neglect and corruption,’ he added.

Add Comment

There are no comments.

Top